COAC is an Oregon 501(c)(3) non-profit organization operated by a volunteer Board of Directors that provides financial and general operational oversight to the following subcontracted personnel: two forecasters, two pro observers, and one developmental director. Learn more about the COAC Board. We are presently involved in:
- Community avalanche education events.
- Distribution of relevant mountain snow and weather data through professional observer program and bi-weekly advisory dissemination.
- Coordination with national and regional avalanche and weather entities to identify operational shortfalls and associated enhancements to bolster and improve forecasting.
- Provide funding to assist in purchase of relevant equipment and materials identified as best benefit to general public.
- Organizing local for-profit entities to best serve the local community.
COAC has made huge improvements to meet the demands of our growing backcountry community. Backcountry use continues to grow in the mountains of Central Oregon and our non-profit avalanche forecasting center is working to match strides with the public’s increased need for accurate and useful weather, snowpack, and avalanche information. Through bi-weekly advisories, public outreach, and educational events, we are committed to making the backcountry a safer place.
Contact Us: Central Oregon Avalanche Center 2701 NW Scandia Loop Bend, Oregon 97701
Or via email, email@example.com