As of March 30th, COAC has suspended backcountry avalanche advisories and pro observations until further notice.

On March 23rd, Governor Brown of Oregon issued Stay at Home orders for the public regarding the COVID-19 outbreak. The directives are clear in that “to the maximum extent possible, individuals stay at home or in their place of residence.” On March 27th the Deschutes National Forest issued a closure of all developed recreation sites including trailheads and snoparks. COAC is committed to supporting our community, local emergency services, and agency partners and because of this we felt it important to cease operations as we all work together to minimize the impacts and spread of COVID-19.   

This decision was not taken lightly. Aside from the need to maintain congruency with the Governors' orders, there are inherent risks with backcountry activities in alpine environments and it’s important to consider unnecessary exposure to COAC forecasters, first responders, and local medical staff in light of the current situation.

We look forward to getting back into the mountains and providing you all with the tools to recreate safely in the backcountry. Until then we thank you for your continued support and wish all our mountain community the best of health and wellness.

Tumalo Full Profile 2/8

Observation Date/Time:
Sat, Feb 8, 2020 - 7:19 PM
Alli Miles
Three Sisters Area / 7238'
Report Type:
Snow Conditions   No Avalanche Activity  
Travel Mode:
Ski or Snowboard  
Sky Conditions:
Overcast (> 7/8)
Precip Type/Intensity:
Snow / S-1 Very light snow
New Snow:
22 cm cm
Height of Snow (HS):
300 cm
Wind Direction/Speed:
W / Moderate: 17-25 mph

Written Report:
I toured up Tumalo today to see whether the forecast of snow and moderate/strong winds would come to fruition. Today, it seems, the forecast was spot on.

Snow was falling lightly through most of the day, stacking up another few inches on top of the 4 in. that fell overnight last night. It was enough to cover up the very stout crust and make for some nice skiing in the trees and open glades.

Up higher was a different story. Strong westerly winds were moving snow around quite a bit, blowing sideways snow, scouring surfaces, and building large drifts.

Around midday, the sun made a brief appearance and I hoped to catch a glimpse into the bowl. I could see wind transporting snow into the bowl and developing large drifts/cornices. Then the clouds moved back in and everything whited out. See pics below.

I skied down the north side and dug a pit on an east aspect at 7238', where I was a bit more sheltered from the wind. Key takeaways: I measured about 22 cm of light, unconsolidated snow over a stout crust. Below, I found layers upon layers of crusts. Total height of snow in this location was 300 cm. See attached profile for details.

As I toured out, the clouds began to break up and I was able to catch a few glimpses of the bowl from below. I did not see any avalanche activity.